Friday, February 29, 2008

29/02/2008 09:37

Rio: I'll sign up
Rio Ferdinand has begun talks on a new Manchester United contract. The England defender has 16 months left on his current agreement but discussions have started on a four-year deal. Ferdinand, 29, said: “We are on the cusp of something very good. I’ve been here through a transitional period and I can see the fruits beginning to ripen. We have a strong bond and a great bunch of players ready to achieve. The rewards are there to be taken - now is the time to deliver.” Ferdinand, who currently earns £110,000 a week, added: “We’ve done a lot on the training pitch and the manager has worked tirelessly to bring in the right players. So we’re in a position to strike.”
Neil Custis, The Sun

Rio's quotes above are from United Review's interview with the defender before the Arsenal FA Cup fifth round clash.

In other news, Sir Alex has revealed he considered quitting United to manage a foreign club. But the boss claims the magnetism of coaching the Old Trafford giants stopped him joining an overseas side. Fergie admitted: “Sometimes I used to say to myself 'I’d love to have tried managing abroad sometime' but then it was difficult for me. My choices were cut off simply because I was the manager of Manchester United which is amazing and you don’t leave Manchester United.”

Meanwhile, Manchester City chairman Thaksin Shinawatra flew in to Thailand yesterday and announced that his club will be ‘another Manchester United’ next season.

No comments: